Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Gratitude Lists

Every night before I go to bed, I type out a "Gratitude List," comprised of ten or more things that I am thankful for that I was directly affected by that day. For instance, I wouldn't just say that "I'm thankful for my brother," but I could say, "I'm thankful for Aaron lending me $5 so that I wouldn't lose my place in line for Harold Night, and then saving me a seat when he got in before me." I then email it to two of my best friends in the world, and they do the same. It's great - the three of us have this daily email chain going on. It's a wonderful way to keep myself accountable to doing the lists, and a delightful way to keep in touch with these women. Neither of them have met, but through the lists (we've been going since early February, I want to say), they've gotten to know one another in a beautifully unique and powerful way. It helps that we're all actresses. Anyway, I love these lists. They keep me on my toes to really be aware and notice lovely little moments throughout the day. As I've had a particularly wonderful day, I thought I would be extra generous and share Monday's list with you!

1. Actually getting it together and baking delicious, agave-sweetened, whole wheat flour blueberry muffins! They came out marvelously, and are delicious! {Incidentally, blog-readers, these are from a babycakes nyc recipe. They are wonderful, and cater to people with food sensitivities - I'm just trying to improve my general health, and think babycakes is grand!}

2. I'm 21 days refined sugar free! Aaah! Yet it now seems like I've been doing it for ages, in the best way possible. {More on this in another post}

3. A seemingly endless supply of Jeremy Brett's SHERLOCK HOLMES episodes on streaming Netflix. Turning a new one on every morning as I make breakfast (or bake muffins, as the case may be).

4. Both Arlo & Sarah approving of the muffins. They are the first thing I've baked in this apartment (umm, moved here in Dec 08), so it's a nice affirmation.

5. A good, solid work-through of the Hedda/Lovborg scene with Arlo. Feeling ready to go up in class tonight.

6. Finally getting to work on a scene with Sarah. Digging in to NORMAN.

7. Umm, making a flank steak roll situation for dinner? I COOKED STEAK! With panko and mesclun and garlic and balsamic and some stuff...Let's be real here. It's the first meat I've cooked that was not bacon, sausage, or a turkey burger. EVER. I am proud of the Jo today!

8. First rehearsal for STOP THE WORLD! Realizing that when you don't have to audition for something, you often have no idea what the project is about! I discovered it's very English, and I may get to use a couple of accents! Among them? Da! Rrrrrrrussian!

9. Hanging out with Mel and Tom again. They make me laugh, and are so easygoing.

10. The cast seems lovely! The leading man and leading lady are married, turns out, which I find very amusing.

11. Running from rehearsal to class. Having a really good rehearsal of the Hedda scene with Karl. Allowing a few minor changes to transform it. The scene really coming to life. The relationship with Lovborg beginning to crackle and become more dynamic. Knowing working on this scene is going to affect the rest of my work on the play tremendously.

12. Going back to working on Hedda after an lapse of several months. How something about working on her just feels so right. So much to work on, yes, but still...so easy. Like wearing a comfortable shoe. A comfortable shoe you could stab someone to death with.



That's the general idea! Hope you like them - try some of your own, and start a wee email chain! I really look forward to reading my friends', and it's great to go back later and reread your own!

1 comment: