Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Queen of the Workshops!

So many things to discuss here.

First of all, I am watching Conan's final Tonight Show appearance. I've been following the whole NBC saga with great interest. Poor Conan. It's really not his fault that his core audience gets the bulk of their media from their computers. Anyway, Tom Hanks and CoCo were a hilarious duo.

I have to get to bed soon, as I have rehearsal in the morning for the Agee workshop I mentioned in a previous post. It's winding up - just tomorrow and Sunday before they go away to gestate and develop the material. The music is SO much fun to sing, and really eerily gorgeous. Stephanie Johnstone is the name of the composer, and she is one sharp cookie. We put some more stuff together with the actors last night, and that's pretty much what we'll be doing tomorrow and Sunday as well. Woo!

So, today I found out about two things that'll be keeping me busy the first week of February! On the 2nd (a Tuesday), I'll be making my DON'T TELL MAMA'S debut, singing two songs in a set with three or four other singers. I have to pick my pieces by next week, and I'm very jazzed! I'll post more info next week. If you can't come, fret not, for in this digital age, I shall shortly thereafter be posting it to Ye Olde You Tube. Woo!

The other project is a reading of a new musical called DASH DEXTER that'll be done at MTC on the 4th. My marvelously talented friend Kris Kukul wrote the music (he was my music director on KASPAR HAUSER last year), and asked me if I'd be involved. Gordon Cox is the playwright. I don't know much else about it yet, other than that it's a comedy (hurrah!). I'm excited! Anything with Kris Kukul is a guaranteed good time.

I picked up a shift at my restaurant today, and one of the managers came over to me to tell me that we were "shopped" (meaning secret shoppers who fill out reports to turn in to corporate) on Tuesday. "Apparently," he told me, "they thought you were the manager on duty. They said a Caucasian woman with short blonde hair, about 5'8" was running the floor very efficiently and with authority," (or something like that - I've yet to read the report, and I can't remember his exact words), "and you got 100%! That's amazing. I don't think I've ever gotten 100% on a shopper's report,and I'm actually a manager!" I asked if they noticed that there didn't seem to be a host, and I guess they said that "she was also answering the phones and stayed primarily at the host stand." We both had a good laugh over that, seeing as how I am THE HOST, and was therefore doing MY HOSTESSING DUTIES, which include answering the phone and staying primarily at the host stand. Hilarious. We also thought it was funny that they calculated my height at 5'8", since I'm just under six feet. With the boots I was wearing that day, I was at least 6'1". Anyway, how delightful to know that someone took me for the Boss Lady! It's all of the Mary Stuart and other Queenly Roles that I've been working on for the past year. :) That and the fact that I always look like I know what I'm doing (I get asked for directions on the street in almost every major city I visit). Ich weiss nicht!

To bed! I must be awake to sing on the morrow! More anon!

No comments:

Post a Comment