Wednesday, February 3, 2010

I Hear In My Mind All of This Music

The gig at Don't Tell Mama's ended up being really fun! I was getting over a cold, but my voice decided to hang in there, and I was able to belt enough of my face off to make it through both songs unscathed. We each also had to do a bit of patter in between, and I was pretty pleased with how mine came off, considering I'd never really done patter before. Performing on the bill with four other people (I went last, shaZAM!) really made me realize how much I wanted to put together my own cabaret show. I've been talking about doing one for seriously like three years. I had several ideas - all Beatles songs, all Regina Spektor songs, all female pop & folk singers, all old broad showtunes (that was was going to be entitled, "Life Begins at Forty, But I'm Only 23!")...I still like the idea of the Regina Spektor cabaret. One friend also suggested I do a cabaret show in character as "Lady Jo," which is, of course, the title of this blog! Lady Jo is really just a slightly more outlandish version of myself. She's me with my hostess hat on! She calls everyone "Cherub" and "Honeypot." I think it'd be grand to bring her out in full force onstage. We shall see. That's gonna take some serious work.

Had rehearsal for DASH DEXTER all day today. I'm pooped! It was great to see a lot of friends I've worked with in past, and get to sing with them again!

Miss Jo is off to put on A BIT OF FRY & LAURIE while she tidies her room before crashing, face first, into the 854 pillows she has on her bed. That sounds like hyperbole, I know. Maybe it is...but I still got me a lotta pillows!

No comments:

Post a Comment