Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Snowpocalypse!!!

It snowed like mad today, just madly it snowed!!! I watched it all from my host stand at work. One of the servers and I felt really sorry for the poor guys who were shoveling the snow in front of the building our restaurant is in (they were at it for ages, trying to keep it from piling up, and the building has a huge plaza in front of it, not just the sidewalk), so we took some coffee out to them. It was really gratifying to see them all smile and then shout, "Coffee break! Coffee break!"

Last night, I saw VENUS IN FUR at Classic Stage Company. It's David Ives' new play, and stars Wes Bentley (of American Beauty) and Nina Arianda. I saw her in a few shows last year when she was in her final year at NYU, and thought she was fantastic, so I bought a ticket. Then she got ridiculously good reviews, so I was even more excited. She. Was. So. Excellent. Wes Bentley was good, too - he got better as it went along. To be fair, the play is all on the female to rock it out or not. It could so easily have been done horribly, but she was perfect. So excited for her, especially as this was her first thing out of grad school, and she was non-union. People should go see it - only 90 minutes, and really fun. Really, really funny at times. Even the ol' blue-hairs that surrounded me in the audience were laughing. Really, I thought if I stopped going to Wednesday matinees, I'd wind up surrounded a a crowd that wasn't triple my age. :) At least no cell phones went off. Oy.

Stayed up till three last night packing. I did begin packing at 1:30am, and then was half-packing, half-watching SOBBIN' WOMEN: THE MAKING OF SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. Don't be hatin' - that movie is so good. Yes, yes, I'm a total snob and will tear YOU'VE GOT MAIL or LOVE ACTUALLY or (God forbid) a Sandra Bullock feature to pieces, but I LOVE 7Brides. The men are all such good dancers, and many of them were legitimately straight! Burly baritones? Come ON! I'm a sucker. Plus, they all wore such colorful shirts and swung axes about the place. Yes, I do have better reasons that this is a good film, but are those reasons so WRONG? Howard Keel, people!!! It's just like Omar Sharif - put Omar Sharif on camera reading a Chemistry textbook, and I'm bound to like it. Or William Powell. Or - be still my heart - Cary Grant. Howard Keel can steal me from my small Western town and hide me away on his mountain farm any day of the week. Russ Tamblyn is a bit short for me (imdb tells me he is 5'9" to Howard's more satisfactory 6'3"), but as he grows up to be Riff, the leader of the Jets, I'll overlook this fact and invest in some hearty, mountaineering flats. Anyway, the point is that I was watching a lot of lovely dancing, and not folding at the speediest of paces. So I have MORE packing to do. Not much, but some. Woohoo, two week vacation! Check ya latah, New York. Colorado --> London --> Krakow --> London --> NYC! Krakow will only be for a couple of days, but it'll be my first foray into Poland, and I'm jazzed to visit my friend Stan in his hometown!

I used many exclamation points in this post, and employed my CAPS LOCK a number of times. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment