Sunday, February 21, 2010

Who's Afraid of Vanessa Bell?

Quickie here, as I'm meant to be packing for Krakow (going for only about two days, but I do have to wake up at the disgusting hour of 6am). I may be on vacation, but I still managed to get a spot of acting in! A couple of my friends here wrote a screenplay called BILLY & NESSA, based on the relationship between Virginia Woolf and her sister Vanessa Bell in their youth and early careers/marriages. They wanted to hear it aloud and in its entirety for the first time, so they recruited a few actor friends (among them, Yours Truly) to do a reading. I got to read Vanessa, along with the occasional nurse and such. So incredibly fun! As I've been doing a lot of readings in the past year, it's only fitting I should do one even when I'm away. :) It was quite good, and as Sarah and Fi stayed with me in New York while they were doing a lot of their research (reading the sisters' letters and the like), it was fitting I should be there the first time they shared it with a group of people.

This morning was also my turning point. Every time I come over to visit, there is an official turning point. What I mean by that is, there is a definite day when I start sounding less American, I can feel my speech rounding out, and musicality swooping in with tremendous force. I start phrasing things differently, and my inflection just goes all kinds of crazy. I love it. Especially since I genuinely don't force it - this transformation occurs because my ear automatically starts adjusting and adapting to what I'm hearing. I just sit back and listen for enjoyment's sake more than anything. A much more delightful and less dramatic version of Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment