Saturday, February 27, 2010

What if her coach is second class? She at least gets to travel...

Well, I'm back.

Right. SO much to write about that I'm a little overwhelmed and don't know where to begin. And, as is the way, I have to head to work in a bit, so I don't have long to type.

Let's finish up London before I do Krakow. I got back from Poland on Wed afternoon, and ran off to meet some friends for dinner and a play. We saw Mark Rylance in JERUSALEM, and I have to say that it is one of the best things I've ever seen. Excellent writing, fabulous ensemble cast, glorious production values, and a tour-de-force performance by Rylance. He was unreal. The girls I was with went to drama school with one of the cast members, and she told us that apparently, he was incredibly ill with a throat infection. This is a three hour play, in which he's on essentially the entire time, throwing himself about the stage, roaring, dancing, and then getting the crap kicked out of him. You want to be in top form for that. Well, I wouldn't have had any idea that he was at all poorly. What a champ. Incredible. Mackenzie Crook was also in it, and he was flipping brilliant. I had no idea he was pushing forty till I looked him up on imdb later that night. SO funny. Oh, it's seeing plays like that which remind me how much I love being an actor!!!

The next night, I met up with my dear friend Hannah (the one I stayed with) at The National, where she's in rehearsals. While waiting for her, I saw Amelia Bullmore wandering about the cafe, and I stopped her to tell her I'd just seen her play last week, and THE NORMAN CONQUESTS while it was on Broadway. "Oh, that was SUCH a happy time!" she said. We had a lovely little chat, and then I ran into her again when Hannah came to lead me through the labyrinth that is the backstage area of The National. She's very charming and funny, and apparently married to one of the men in Hannah's play THE WHITE GUARD. So, I went to hang out in the green room of The National with Hannah and about a third of her cast. The Green Room in this instance is a canteen and bar. Jolly Olde Englande. Anyway, I had definitely seen a few of the men in shows at The National before, which was cool, and THEN, Conleth Hill strolled in to hang out. I LOVE CONLETH HILL!!! I saw him in THE SEAFARER when it was on Broadway, and could not even begin to get over how fabulous I thought he was. Very exciting to be able to sit across the circle from him while everyone's having a casual chat. I love actors. And I love feeling fancy, as I did on Thursday.

Right. I really do have to run to get ready for work. I'll post the Krakow goodies later. I will say this - it was gorgeous, and I had a fabulous time. In only going for two days, I robbed myself completely. Can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

  1. what I have to say is: next time we see each other in nyc or london you're taking me to theater, next time you're in krakow I do the honors.
    s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is an old post... What did you think of Conleth Hill off stage??

    I briefly subbed in for the crew of the Seafarer, so I worked with him a little. I do wish he would come back to Broadway!

    ReplyDelete